ASSDA Webinar: Stainless steel - Correcting the common misconceptions
Please note the date change from Tuesday 22 January 2019 to Thursday 24 January 2019.
Everyone knows that stainless steel resists corrosion, but beyond that, an amazing rang of half-truths and exaggerations have evolved - often misleading and sometimes simply wrong.
This webinar looks at some of the more popular myths, explains why they are wrong, and more to the point, gives examples of the facts and correct information. Specific misconceptions include:
- All stainless steels have much the same properties including corrosion resistance
- "Marine" grade stainless steel is suitable for seawater immersion
- Only non-magnetic stainless steels have good corrosion resistance
- Stainless steel reinforcement will cause accelerated galvanic corrosion of carbon steel reinforcement
- Foreign grades of stainless steel have different compositions and properties than those used in Australia
- Low nickel in stainless steel means it will corrode
- Stainless steels are expensive
- Galling of fasteners can be prevented by using a 316 nut on a 304 bolt
- Stainless steel can be treated like carbon steel in mechanical designs
- 18/10 cutlery is better than 18/8
- Welding stainless steel gives worse fumes than carbon steel
- L grade stainless steels are more corrosion resistant than standard carbon grades of stainless steel
Presenter: Dr Graham Sussex, Technical Specialist
Graham is a materials expert with over 30 years experience and more than 600 technical publications to his name. Stainless steel is his specialty.
Cost: $45/person ASSDA*, ASSDA Accredited and Engineers Australia members, $85/person non-members
*ASSDA Platinum Members free - Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
This webinar will be hosted online via WebEx.
Details of the webinar access details will be emailed once you have registered using the online form below. If you have any questions, please contact ASSDA on 07 3220 0722 or email@example.com.
NOTE: This webinar is capped at 45 registrations. Early registration is encouraged. First in, first served policy.
Please select your preferred payment option. Credit Card payments are processed securely in real-time.
Click submit to register and continue to payment.
Cancellations within 7 working days of the event will be charged at full price. Replacement delegates may be sent in lieu of cancellation. The organisers reserve the right to cancel workshops due to insufficient registrations or other reasons beyond their control.