ASSDA Webinar: Testing of stainless steel - Why, how and what to do with the results
Tuesday 24 April 2018
Registration: $45/person ASSDA, ASSDA Accredited and EA Member, $85/person Non-Members
(Please scroll down the page for the online registration form)
Some users may find that the stainless steel they purchased or had installed by a contractor does not perform to expectation. Stainless steels and their composition can be difficult to identify, and unexpected poor performance often prompts requests for material testing which may include composition, surface finish, mechanical or other properties.
What test and what should the results be? Was there a standard specified and is it the best one for the proposed job? These thoughts are the starting point for the wide ranging discussion of potential tests and their interpretation.
- Why has the question arisen: Apparent failure, lack of specification or...?
- Composition: Chemical and electrochemical spot tests; portable units - XRF, Spark, "Full Analysis" - what to look for; EDAX in SEM; Effect of various levels of specific elements
- Roughness: What to measure, its effects, types of equipment
- Surface contamination and its assessment: Chlorides - qualitative and quantitative; Steel; Grease, oil or dirt
- Assessing passivity: Simple exposure tests; Static or sweep type potential measurements; Laboratory proving tests for a process
- Mechanical properties: Density, conductivity, expansion, what is tabulated and where
- Metallurgical structure and when it matters: Ferrite measurements, both high and low; Microstructure features and their effects
Presenter: Dr Graham Sussex, Technical Specialist
Graham is a materials expert with over 30 years experience and more than 600 technical publications to his name. Stainless steel is his specialty.
This webinar will be hosted online via WebEx.
Details of the webinar access details will be emailed once you have registered using the online form below. If you have any questions, please contact ASSDA on 07 3220 0722 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: This webinar is capped at 30 registrations. Early registration is encouraged. First in, first served policy.
Testing of stainless steels - Why, how and what to do with the results is a repeated topic from a webinar presented by ASSDA in May 2016.
Please select your preferred payment option. Credit Card payments are processed securely in real-time.
Click submit to register and continue to payment.
Cancellations within 7 working days of the event will be charged at full price. Replacement delegates may be sent in lieu of cancellation. The organisers reserve the right to cancel workshops due to insufficient registrations or other reasons beyond their control.