ASSDA Webinar: Stainless steels for aggressive chemicals
Conventional uses of stainless steels rely on the passive layer to prevent the initiation of corrosion. However, when handling aggressive chemicals, the normally passive film can be overwhelmed and there is a slow dissolution of the stainless steel. This is the one situation where a corrosion allowance applies to stainless steels in the same way as for carbon steels. While pH changes, inhibitor additions or electrical protection (anodic or cathodic) can be applied, in most cases the chemical composition is strengthened to provide an alloy which brings the corrosion rate within accepted bounds.
This webinar will include consideration of:
- The conventional and less usual elements which improve the corrosion resistance of stainless steels
- The differences between attack in oxygenated, chloride-rich environments and strong chemicals
- How to measure corrosion losses; weight or thickness changes compared to resistance or polarisation probe measurements
- Presenting the interaction between concentration, temperature and corrosion rate in iso-corrosion graphs for a series of selected chemicals
- The effect of small or large oxidising additions
- Non-chemical protection
- When it may be necessary to move to a nickel alloy
Presenter: Dr Graham Sussex, Technical Specialist
Graham is a materials expert with over 30 years experience and more than 600 technical publications to his name. Stainless steel is his specialty.
Cost: $45/person ASSDA*, ASSDA Accredited, NZSSDA and Engineers Australia members, $85/person non-members
*ASSDA Platinum Members free - Please contact email@example.com to register.
This webinar will be hosted online via WebEx.
Details of the webinar access details will be emailed once you have registered using the online form below. If you have any questions, please contact ASSDA on 07 3220 0722 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: This webinar is capped at 45 registrations. Early registration is encouraged. First in, first served policy.
Please select your preferred payment option. Credit Card payments are processed securely in real-time.
Click submit to register and continue to payment.
Cancellations within 7 working days of the event will be charged at full price. Replacement delegates may be sent in lieu of cancellation. The organisers reserve the right to cancel workshops due to insufficient registrations or other reasons beyond their control.